Re: Database Downtime Report in Spreadsheet

  • From: Ryan January <rjanuary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: nagaraj.chk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 10:22:40 -0500

Something else to consider, how do you define "downtime"?

Is this at the instance level between startup and shutdown?
What happens if your application users are locked?
What happens if the listener is down?
What happens if the OS/Network is refusing connections?

In my eyes, if the client can't get to it, the DB is in downtime. Regardless of
the root cause it's unavailable.
To that end; I would rely much more heavily on monitoring tools such as
OEM/Sensu/Nagios/Etc for external downtime reporting. By only looking at a
database instance in a vacuum, you're not getting the full picture.

On Sep 15, 2015, at 9:55 AM, Nagaraj S <nagaraj.chk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank You Chris Stephens and Chris Ruel. It is useful information to automate
my task, Thanks Again.

-Naga

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Stephens, Chris <Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx
<mailto:Chris.Stephens@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
No need for separate external table:

http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2009/03/21/oracle-11g-reading-alert-log-via-sql/
<http://blog.tanelpoder.com/2009/03/21/oracle-11g-reading-alert-log-via-sql/>

I would make sure you rotate the log on a somewhat regular basis though.

DBA_HIST_SNAPSHOT also has STARTUP_TIME if have diagnostics pack and aren’t
worried about multiple outages / snapshot.

Chris