Re: Database Designer

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jacintakean@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:10:27 +0000

On 01/09/2005 08:30:23 PM, Kean Jacinta wrote:
> Hi :)
>=20
> I have downloaded the database designer from oracle
> website. I would like to know is this tool free ?

No. Oracle Corp. is a software company, not a software charity.
I makes no sense to give away a top notch CASE tool in which they've =20
invested millions of dollars.  As a matter of fact, database designer =20
is quite a pricey tool.

>=20
> I have the oracle database 9i license. If i use
> database designer should i buy another license for it
> as well ?

Yes, unless you are using it as a student or for evaluating/learning =20
purposes. If the nature of your work is commercial, you need a license.
You see, Oracle9i is just one among Oracle Corp. products. You are not =20
entitled to all products of Oracle Corp. just because you bought the =20
database. You get only what you have paid for. Fortunately, you do not =20
get OID, either. Oracle should pay you to use that.

>=20
> Pls do educate me.

I will gladly deliver the bad news to you, over the Internet. If you =20
want me to educate you, I don't do it for free, either. I am probably =20
cheaper then Hotsos, JL Consultancy or Centrex, but the quality is much
lower, too.

>=20
> Thank You

You are welcome.