RE: Database Character set related question

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:10:48 -0400

What are the decimal values for these unprintable characters.  We use
US7ASCII and I know that values greater than 127 are recognized as being
specific symbols such as decimal 162 is the cent sign.

Get the decimal values for the bytes in question and compare them to the
result of the following code:

set echo off
--
-- pl/sql script to identify ASCII print symbols
--
-- 20030327  Mark D Powell   New figure out ASCII char 4 squared n cubed
--
set serveroutput on size 32768
set trimspool on
spool ascii_sym
declare
--
v_string   varchar2(1) := null;
v_dec_val  number(3)   := 0  ;

Note that Tab (009) and Newline (010) will not produce readable output.
If you can identify a valid value for the data in question then maybe
the spool file might help if the conversion process changes the values
and the result is not correct.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --