Re: Data Guard learning resources?

  • From: Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:54:19 -0400

I also found dg easy to setup. My problems come from configuring dgmgrl. Getting the network configuration syntactically correct is difficult. Which is why the documentation on the subject is sparse or non existent

You have:

DB_NAME
DB_UNIQUE_NAME
INSTANCE_NAME
SERVICE_NAMES
GLOBAL_DBNAME
SID
SID_NAME

Getting the init.ora, listener.ora and tnsnames to line up is tricky at best

If anyone has working example of the 3 files lined up so dgmgrl performs a clean switchover I'd like to see it.

When it works, it’s fantastic. Getting a clear doc of how thats done -for me - has been the problem

links Ive used

dgmgrl cli
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/TWP_DataGuard_10gR2.pdf

dg
http://webkemper1.informatik.tu-muenchen.de:8080/interna/oracle10g/doc/server.101/b10822/cli.htm

When dgmgrl works it looks like this ############################################### DGMGRL> switchover to 'ORCL_p4p'; Performing switchover NOW, please wait... Operation requires shutdown of instance "orcl" on database "STBY_dell" Shutting down instance "orcl"... ORA-01109: database not open

Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
Operation requires shutdown of instance "orcl" on database "ORCL_p4p"
Shutting down instance "orcl"...
ORA-01109: database not open

Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
Operation requires startup of instance "orcl" on database "STBY_dell"
Starting instance "orcl"...
Switchover succeeded, new primary is "ORCL_p4p"
DGMGRL> exit

-- "Oracle error messages being what they are, do not highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify some other error located close to where the real fault lies."