Re: Data Guard Apply Tuning ?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:21:16 -0400

On 08/30/2016 04:22 PM, Andy Klock wrote:

Fair question and I hope it is set up improperly! Looks like all the standbys (that I can see anyway) have recovery_parallelism disabled. Though I do see the PR0 processes usually busy doing something.

SQL> select substr(program,22,4),status,count(*) from v$session where program like '%MRP%' or program like '%PR0%' or program like '%DBW%' group by substr(program,22,4),status order by 1;

SUBSTR(PROGRAM,2 STATUS     COUNT(*)
(DBW             ACTIVE           10
(MRP             ACTIVE            1
(PR0             ACTIVE           36

Hi Andy,
First things first: I am a consultant, don't have a database that could call my own, so don't have redo apply numbers for you either. However, you have only one media recovery process, which is probably a bottleneck. I remember some old bugs with parallel recovery, so maybe that's why the parallel recovery was turned off. However, I have not heard of any major parallel recovery bug in either 11.2 or 12.1 releases, it could be turned on. You can also try with tracing the instance recovery (event 10013) and see if that will produce any useful results. Another trick would be to put everything in Docker and see whether that will work.
Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA