Re: DG for nologging

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sheehan, Jeremy" <JEREMY.SHEEHAN@xxxxxxx>, "arjen.visser@xxxxxxxxx" <arjen.visser@xxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:57:42 -0500

On 03/07/2018 04:10 PM, Sheehan, Jeremy wrote:

Despite the downsides, I personally think it is better than Data Guard.

There is no such thing as "better" or "worse". There is only "it is a better fit to my situation and budget".  There are several solutions:

 * Data Guard
 * DbVisit
 * SAN replication
 * Snapshot based discrete backups, like SnapVault by NetApp.
 * Database replication, like GG or SharePlex.

Corporate giants like Citigroup, Exxon Mobile or Walmart will probably chose different solution than some smaller companies. Fortunately, I am not a DBA any more, so I don't have to chose the solution any more. That is also the reason why this debate will never reach any meaningful end.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant