RE: DBMS_STATS [resend chomped version]

  • From: Barbara Baker <barbarabbaker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:12:06 -0700 (PDT)

Regarding #1:
(9.2.0.4 Solaris 9)
We have a recommendation from the sw vendor to compute
with histograms using

exec dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats(ownname =>
'SCOTT', estimate_percent =>
dbms_stats.auto_sample_size, method_opt => 'for all
columns size skewonly', cascade => true);

as an initial method to gather the stats. I did a bit
of looking and a bit of testing, and it looks good to
me.  Down side:  it did take several hours to gather
the initial set of stats.

What are other folks doing with histograms??

Barb