Re: DBLINKs in critical production system

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Ajay_Thotangare@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:54:33 -0500

Ajay,

Depends (as usual).  If the DB Links are FROM the Prod system TO others
and you're careful about which User you connect to on the other end, then
you're probably OK, though others might have issues.  You've got to be
very careful about DB Links from other databases TO Prod.  Those can
become "back doors" to get at your Prod data.

Also, up through 9i the Password column in the Sys.Link$ table was in
plain text - not in my 10.2 database, though.  Anyone with Select Any
Dictionary priv could see the passwords.  Obviously, a gaping security
hole to make sure you plug.

DB Links can also be a performance bottleneck if you're dragging lots of
data from other databases back to Prod across a LAN/WAN.  If the other
database(s) is(are) on the same server as Prod, then having the DB Links
use IPC greatly reduces the performance hit.

DB Links can be useful, even in Prod, but require great care in
implementation, IMHO.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 Same-Day Stump Grinding!  Senior Discounts!
         -- Mike's Tree Service

"Thotangare, Ajay \(GTI\)" <Ajay_Thotangare@xxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/30/2007 10:32 AM
Please respond to
Ajay_Thotangare@xxxxxx

<oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
DBLINKs in critical production system

Hi Group,
I have a question about dblink. I always hear that
- dblinks are not good in production system.
- dblink , ohh!! not in critical production system
- dblink are not safe
Can anybody please let me know the reason for such comments on dblinks.
regards,
Ajay