Re: DBA interviews

  • From: "Darrell Landrum" <darrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:50:42 -0500

I'm with you Rachel.
I like questions such as:
"On your current or last job, did peers come to you for help, on what areas
of technology, and tell me about a situation in which your assistance made a
difference.  What was the challenge, what had been done before you were
involved, and what happened from there?"
also,
"On your current or last job, who did you go to for assistance, on what
areas of technology, and tell me about a situation in which that person(s)
assistance made a difference.  What was the challenge, what did you do
before you involved them, and what happened from there?"
finally,
"Besides the situations we just discussed, describe the last time you either
attended training or did research on your own, learned something new and
taught that to others who were able to apply it."  On this, simple things
are allowed, I don't mean J2EE training, it can be something like a method
you hadn't seen before that was useful in your environment.
To me, the DBA is not just the person administering the databases, he/she is
also a knowledgeable resource that leads the way for other I.T. staff as
well as power end users.