Re: DB Appliance

  • From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:16:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tim,
Although the subject line reads - DB Appliance, what I am about to share here
is not specific to it. It is more widely applicable. But I do want to address
what you shared in your first paragraph.

To Niall's defense, I think the whole definition of HA has changed dramatically
since the advent of Cloud Computing. These days data center going down can be
considered as an HA issue depending on the context. For example, an
organization that utilizes geographically distributed clouds, can have 4 data
centers in the mix, 2 on each coast of the US. So, think of US-East-A and
US-East-B, which are considered co-locations and are say within 100km apart
from each other. And a similar setup for the West Coast, 3000 km away -
US-West-A and US-West-B which are co-locations, again within 100km of each
other. And for the purposes of our discussion, let's assume that the East Coast
is the Primary Region and the West Coast is the DR Region. Data Centers A & B
are connected to one another using dark fiber and the network latency is very
low (1-5 ms). The above setup is similar to what Amazon EC2 has to offer.

It is imperative that we are talking about 4 independent databases here (2 in
each region). Now, when we talk about HA, it is between the US-East-A &
US-East-B data centers. The complete disaster of EITHER Data Center A or B,
does not cause a DR event. DR is engaged ONLY when BOTH A & B are unavailable.
Stretch RAC/Extended RAC is not a viable option due to its high sensitivity to
network latency and the inevitable node evictions and the performance aftermath
that ensues on the slightest network hiccup. Stretch RAC is really suited more
for a campus type implementation for some very specific applications when the
data centers are close (say within 10km of each other). The databases in A & B
on either region is kept in SYNC using standard replication methods available
in Oracle - Active Data Guard in Maximum Protection Mode. The concept of
cross-data-center-HA here is without Oracle RAC. In fact, RAC is not even
required within the same data center,
 as a server failure in A can automatically failover to the database in B. This
design is fundamentally simpler as the 4 databases in question can be
single-instnace databases and with a simple yet intelligent network routing
between A & B. This setup can (and has) provide (provided) very high levels of
uptime (yes 5 nines). I realize that there is much detail that is not covered
here, but I wanted to give you another perspective on the subject nevertheless.

Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,
CEO & Founder, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
http://www.dbcloudman.com

Phone - +1-650-743-6060
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gajakrishnavaidyanathaCo-author:Oracle
Insights:Tales of the Oak Table
- http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID14
Co-author:Oracle Performance Tuning 101
- http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0072131454/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6130796-4625766
Enabling Cloud Deployment & Management for Oracle Databases

________________________________
 From: Tim Hall <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "fuadar@xxxxxxxxx" <fuadar@xxxxxxxxx>; "mayurpnagarsheth@xxxxxxxxx"
<mayurpnagarsheth@xxxxxxxxx>; "jreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<jreid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 9, 2012 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: DB Appliance

Niall: I slightly disagree with your High-Availability (HA) point, but
on a terminology issue.

RAC is a HA solution. It is meant to cope with a server going down. A
data center going bang is not a typical HA issue. It is a disaster
recovery issue. Unless you are using a stretch cluster, then RAC is
not really a disaster recovery solution full stop.

With this in mind, I think the claim that ODA is a HA solution is
valid*. It is most definitely not a disaster recovery solution. If you
need that, you are going to have to buy more hardware and consider a
solution like Data Guard or DBVisit Standby etc.

Now I know some people use the term HA to mean different things, which
is why I said I "slightly disagree". :)

* Complexity is the enemy of high-availability. RAC is complex,
therefore RAC != HA. :)

Cheers

Tim...