RE: Cron management...

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 08:29:06 -0500 (CDT)

Chris writes:

My apologies. I did not mean to imply that OEM 12c is unstable or anything
like that.

However as a paranoid DBA I want to hedge my bets.

Paranoia is a Good Thing™. Pre-12c, EM twice silently deleted my production
backup job, causing arch to fill and bringing the DB to a halt before I
could get to it. I wrote a SQL script to check to make sure the job existed
in the repository as a bandaid, but opted for a custom shell script that ran
the RMAN jobs. It's of course scheduled via cron.

With only a handful of DB servers, it works, but with 30, no. We do have
TIDAL for our application batching and while I don't directly use it, it
seems to work very well. The configuration seemed very complex and we
required vendor assistance, but rock steady with no complaints from my
co-worker about it.

GL!

Rich