Re: Create standby DB non-ASM, non_OMF from Primary ASM and OMF

  • From: "Brian MacLean" <bpmaclean.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: campbell.neil@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:40:34 -0700

I like using the dbms_file_transfer package to build standby databases.
Most of the time for me shipping tapes is not an option.   It also works
great for moving things in & out, out & in, and around within ASM.

When you transfer the datafiles give them a non OMF name on the output side
and then do "rename" commands on the standby side.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/datacenter/?p=136
http://www.builderau.com.au/program/oracle/soa/Copy-Oracle-s-Automatic-Storage-Management-files-with-DBMS-FILE-TRANSFER/0,339028441,339280831,00.htm
   ...and my favorite...
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/asm_cloning.pdf