Re: Cost-Based Optimizer and AIX Virtual Processors

  • From: David Barbour <david.barbour1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:33:46 -0400

Don't have a sample yet.  This incident (which actually may be incidents)
occurred on new hardware where we've installed a sandbox as part of a
looming SAP upgrade.  I'm taking snapshots and doing some other monitoring
now.  When our development team takes a breath, I'm going to ask them to run
the job when the box is ramped up and when it's relatively quiet.

Rich's recollection sort of matches my gut feeling (we had TONS of issues in
Production with application servers and load balancing until we stopped the
virtual CPU/Memory) but until I can collect some empirical evidence or
someone can point me to a discussion or article on the subject, I really
don't have much to go on.

Keep you informed.