Re: Confused about automatic memory management.

  • From: Thomas Kellerer <thomas.kellerer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 13:50:03 +0200

Riyaj,

thanks for the answer.

> If your question is, "why the memory advisors prefer to allocate more memory
> for PGA instead of SGA?",
> then that is probably some bug in the code causing overallocation to PGA.
>
>   I have a few questions before I can recommend :
>
>   1. Can you share the top wait events section from AWR report?

Essentially "db file sequential read", "db file scattered read" and "DB CPU"

The load varies a bit, but those are usually among the top 5.

>  2. Does your application use PX execution extensively?

No, not extensively (but occassionally I'd say)

> Does the execution plans have heavy full table scans on bigger tables or more
> OLTP?
> Remember that FTS might trigger direct path reads and require more PGA.
There are some FTS on large (> 5 Million rows) tables.

The load is a mix of OLTP and datawarehouse/aggregation style queries.

> If I were you (knowing that the supplied data is inadequate),
> I would set lower bound values for db_cache_size, shared_pool_size,
> large_pool_size, java_pool_size, etc.
> Memory advisors will honor that lower bound and keep at least that much
> memory for that area.
> This will prevent overallocation to PGA from SGA.

As a first step I disabled automatic memory management and switched to
automatic shared memory management + automatic PGA management.

Since then most (~84%) of the SGA (total 50GB) is used for the buffer cache.
The PGA seems to stabilize at around 4GB - but then our large aggregation
statements have not yet been run.

> Also, if there is a bigger PGA allocated, RDBMS code seems to have tendency
> to trigger more direct path reads,
> which in turn, might need more memory for PGA, a cyclic, invalid logic. I
> have seen, a few databases suffering from this chronic issue.

Thanks for the hint, I wasn't aware that direct path reads would increase the
PGA.

Regards
Thomas