Re: Configuring HUGE PAGES

  • From: "Jeffrey Beckstrom" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:22:16 -0500

Can you configure HUGE Pages to use all available memory?  Would the PGA then
just ignore the setting and use normal pages instead.  Do you have to
specifically allocate only enough memory for HUGE Pages to cover the SGA and
leaving the rest as normal?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
Information Systems
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
>>> Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> 11/20/13 3:19 PM >>>
The PGA can't go into HugePages, only SGA. So you only need to worry about the
SGA pools and buffer cache. For this same reason, you can't use AMM if you want
to use HugePages, you have to set memory_target and memory_max_size to 0.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are looking at migrating to Linux. We would like to configure HUGE Pages.
When determining how many HUGE PAGES to allocate, do we just consider the SGA,
the SGA and PGA or should all memory be assigned to HUGE Pages.

.

--
Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us (