Re: Coke switches to DB2!!

  • From: hrishy <hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx, wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

Its very difficult to answer this question as many part of its are
subjective.Many database professionals i feel are very hsotile towards the
databases they dont work with and overly protective of the databases they are
familiar with but with economy in the doldrums this is changing and many are
atleast forced to become polygot DBA's (term i borrowed from Neal Ford's
Polygot programmers)

Db2 is a fine database about 95% of the sql works uncahnged on all the three
platforms .

With Db2 9.7 of thier product they have added  oracle compatability layer to
make developers life easier so developers who work on oracle and db2 have a
less painful time.
The idea of the above feature was perhaphs to steal some existing oracle
customers and motivate them to move to db2 as db2 is cheaper.
I am not sure how sucessful will that be as theer are many different type of
customers like vanilla pacakged application users and new projects these might
be trapped by IBM with db2 9.7
There are some other customers who run packaged applications but do lot of
custom things on top of it they might find it difficult to migrate
There are some other who take the ORM approach to application development they
dont really care about the database as for them one database can be easily
swapped for the other.

From a DBA perspective there are DB2 DBA on 3 platforms

a)Db2 on mainframe you need to understand z/os esp the znsparms etc
b)Db2 on i5/0S its a different beats all together very attractive to managers
as the hardware os db2 etc everything comes with it but again needs a different
dba skills
c)DB2 on LUW again needs different DBA skills

HA clustering stuff etc is very different from Oracle and also in between these
three versions of Db2

I have seen companies cross train thier DB2 DBA's across these platforms esp if
your primary skill is DB2.

I was cross trained on Db2 LUW .(and worked as DB2 DBA for about 2 years but
currently i dont handle it).

hope this helps

For the therotically inclined abd Db2 bashers Code base is again same for all
versions of DB2 except some operating system specfic code which is necessary to
take adavantage of the specific underlying platform but for all practical
purposes if you are a DBA like me this point does not matter much.

regards