Re: Coalescing Indxes on a regular basis

  • From: "Alberto Dell'Era" <alberto.dellera@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:31:39 +0200

Only on indexes belonging to the AQ queues (I don't know whether this is
supported or not by the way, even if it seems a relatively safe
operation to me). I started doing that after noticing hundreds
of consistent gets on empty or almost empty queues;
in fact this is the typical "sweeper" index that can get a lot of benefit
from COALESCE.

I don't bother doing that on all indexes, only on those I know
being "problematic".

On 4/10/07, fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does any implement this type of maintenance on indexes regularly?
Theoretically, this should be good practice on tables that witness large
number of updates or deletes.
For those who do not, can you please explain why?

Alberto Dell'Era
"dulce bellum inexpertis"