Re: Clusterware on solaris

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hrishys@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:58:24 -0300

Hey Hrishy,

  I've always used raw devices for OCR and Voting, however I
understand Oracle is about to de-support everything on raw devices, I
wonder if this applies to ocr and voting. in any case, I never used
NFS for an Oracle Cluster, though I have used NFS for other purposes
and it proved to be very reliable.

   About n-1 issue... well, I've mostly worked on two node RACs, and
the only RAC with more than two nodes I actually installed was a 9i
RAC, so there I just used on partition (raw, obviously since it's 9i)
for quorum (would be voting in 10g) and 1 partition for global cluster
configuration (OCR in 10g). I'd have to run a few tests to see if this
would work as well on 10g, but I don't see why not. (Installation
Guide for 10gR2 doesn't seem to specify any requirements for more than
one OCR and one Voting)

From the RAC install guide 10gR2 (For Linux, but I reckon it's the
same for solaris)

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/install.102/b14203/storage.htm#CDEJFCCB

it basically says that if you handle the ocr an voting with external
redundancy (i.e. raid 1 or raid 5) you just need one of each.

hth
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional