Re: Changing block size

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eugene.pipko@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:06:08 -0600

Eugene,

As you've probably understood from your replies, DB_BLOCK_SIZE is the one
parameter that can't be changed after the database is created (there are
more options with 10g). Perhaps if you stated why you want to change this,
we can provide you more useful suggestions. Often people assume stuff
like by doubling the block size their performance will double. Also, this is
a pretty old database version, and not the latest Windows server version.
I'm always reluctant to make substantial changes on something that
old. Might be a better idea to migrate the database to recent versions.

Dennis Williams