Re: Can relative dirs be used in CREATE DIRECTORY?

  • From: TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:36:18 -0400

I've tried every which way to sunday, by reading just the . file to see if
i could figure it out but always get "invalid directory path" error.

Thanks,  Joe

---------------------------------------
You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3.
Fast + Right is Expensive
Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
Right + Cheap will take a while.

"Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

04/09/2008 02:53 PM
Please respond to rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From
"Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Can relative dirs be used in CREATE DIRECTORY?

Hey all,

The subject about says it all.  The SQL Reference docs (10.1 - 11.1) for
CREATE DIRECTORY show this example:

CREATE DIRECTORY admin AS 'oracle/admin';

...which implies a relative directory of "." in Unix.  But where would
that
directory have to be created on the filesystem?  I haven't been able to
find
this through trial and error and I'm not sure how one would attempt to
trace
this via strace, truss, etc.

My goal is to have changes in the filesystem automagically reflected in
the
Oracle directory object without me having to rememeber to reissue the
CREATE
DIRECTORY command manually on all databases.

Thoughts?

Rich