CPU speed comparison

  • From: Sriram Kumar <k.sriramkumar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:07:15 -0400

Hi Gurus,

Firstly Wish you all Merry Christmas.

   We have a banking application and I am in the process of  doing a CPU
Capacity prediction of the DB server based on the Ratio Modelling Technique.
I have arrived at the CPU requirements for particular platform(Say Itanium2)
and now I want to arrive at the CPU numbers for the other Server
platforms(PA-RISC, IBM PowerV/VI, Intel Xeon, Ultrasparc IV/III).

Say for a given volume set I arrive at a 2 CPU Itanium2, Now how do I arrive
at CPU numbers for the other platforms. Any inputs/pointers would very much
be appriciated.

I looked at http://home.comcast.net/~arivenes/sql/cpu_test.sql and feel that
we can use this script for the said comparison provided the underying
assumption is correct. The scripts basic assumption is using LIO's to
determine the CPU usage . Run this script in various platforms and  use the
CPU usage figure across platforms to arrive at the comparitive numbers. Does
this approach sound logical?

In this effect, I remembered rading Cary's papaer "Why You Should Focus on
LIOs Instead of PIOs" and I found the following comment from the author

<Quote>
The actual *use *of Oracle block content is the number one consumer of CPU
capacity on any reasonably well optimized Oracle system. Your average LIO
latency will vary, depending primarily upon your CPU speed and the total
number of machine instructions required to parse the content of an Oracle
block
<Unquote>

Thanks and Regards

Sriram Kumar