Re: Books for beginner - learning PL/SQL and/or APEX

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: manuelaout@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:24:58 -0700

Apex should fulfill yours needs nicely. I've been using Apex for years
now with only a few minor hiccups (which were my problems). There are
many things that can be done fairly fast and easy simply by using the
built-in wizards, but there is so much more that can be done by
creating your apps manually, though I'll sometimes start with what the
wizards create and then start from there with my custom modifications.

Knowledge of PL/SQL is essential, but most DBA's should already have a
fairly good grounding in it, and any developer worth his salary should
already be fairly adept at PL/SQL If you have anybody on board that
has a good grasp of javascript, then you can really make some fancy
apps, and adding javascript to your apps is fairly easy, if you know
javascript.

As an example of how easy Apex is to use, there is a secretary down
the hall from me. She was told to create a web app for some work her
office was doing, so she instantly started Googling and figured she
get eventually get something done with MySQL, Apache and Tomcat, but
needed a machine to run it on, etc., so she asked me for assistance.
After seeing what she wanted to do, I told her she could go the long
way (her initial way), or I could set her up with an account for Apex
on my database and then all she needed to learn was some PL/SQL and I
could create the tables, etc. for her that she needed. Within 6 months
she had a pretty decent app up and running flawlessly, and this was
starting at ground zero, knowing absolutely nothing about databases,
web design and development, PL/SQL, or anything.

There is a pretty good book out on Apex by John Scott and Scott
Spendolini. And there is plenty of help available on Apex on the OTN
forums, it is far better for help and other assistance than going
through MOS.

--
-- Bill Ferguson