Re: Bigfile tablespaces and ASSM.....

  • From: "Christo Kutrovsky" <kutrovsky.oracle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:28:37 -0400

Another problem with BigFiles is that you cannot leverage the space of
2 diskgroups (not 2 luns) with bigfiles.

We had a case where we had the space in a different diskgroup, but you
cannot use it.

There's good and bad about that. The bad is, we had the space but
could not use it because of bigfiles. The good is, we did not allow a
tablespace to exist in 2 diskgroups, which could've caused a lot of
trouble later, when you think a diskgroup is not in use and etc.

I do however agree with Kevin, that in some cases it's not necessary
to redistribute the data when you add storage. It would be nice if we
had better control over it.

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior Database/System Administrator

On 10/3/06, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just a comment….I just noticed that for bigfile tablespaces, ASSM is
required…..hmm….I guess that answers the question of ASSM vs. MSSM.

I'm setting up my test environement w/ 10gR2, three node Opteron RAC running
64-bit RHEL4, w/ ASM.  With ASM, it makes a lot of sense to have one
datafile per tablespace, that autoextends, and use bigfiles.  That way, you
never have to add a datafile.  You just monitor the free space in the disk
group, and add space at the diskgroup level, when necessary.  But, bigfiles
require ASSM….though I'm not sure why…it doesn't strike me that those two
features would be related….but apparently, they are.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.  --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988