RE: Best practices for Datawarehouse: RAC or Non-RAC

  • From: A Ebadi <ebadi01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle list <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jo.holvoet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:43:27 -0700 (PDT)

Use the same building blocks.  Mixing and matching different server types made
things really difficult for us.  Also, for VLDBs use larger servers (ex. M5000)
rather than smaller (ex. T2000).  Having fewer larger servers seems to be
better than more smaller in a really large warehouse env.

We have a large (~100TB) warehouse DB on RAC. Initially, we built it on
V440's/V445s/T2000s, but after many tough weeks and per Oracle's recommendation
we replaced all 4 nodes with 2 M5000 nodes.  Things are MUCH better ever
sense.  In addition to this we have made sure the app side is tuned well and
can scale (partition exchanges, direct-path loading, compression, parallel
query, etc).

Thanks,
Abdul