RE: Backup best practice

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:45:40 +0200

Robert,

When taking backups of your rman repository, you can safeguard the backup
metadata (located in the controlfiles) by using the controlfile autobackup
feature.
When enabled (configure command in rman) it will make automatically create
backup of the controlfile after backing up the database and use a "predictable"
generated name for it.

When restoring, you only need the dbid of the rman catalog to allow rman to
restore it from backup.
Once the controlfile is restored, you have access again to the metadata of the
backups of your recovery catalog and you can restore the rest of the database
as usual.

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime