Associative array fragmentation?

  • From: Christoph <cruepprich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle L-List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:23:17 -0500

I have a large associative array (index-by pl/sql table), that is indexed
by varchar2. A procedure that uses this array deletes and adds array
elements over and over again. Will this cause memory fragmentation which
can cause performance issues? Is there a way for me to see this
fragmentation?
Here is a short example of what I'm talking about. Imagine this type of
thing done with hundreds or thousands of array elements:

DECLARE
  TYPE t_tbl IS TABLE OF VARCHAR(1) INDEX BY VARCHAR2(1);
  l_tbl t_tbl;
BEGIN
  l_tbl('a') := 1;
  l_tbl('b') := 2;