RE: Are these suppose to be equivalent?

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:54:11 -0400

The first update is missing the where clause that should exist to limit the
rows affected by the update to only those rows that have a corresponding row
in the update subquery.  Rows in the target table without a match will have
the target column nullified.  This is a common newbie error.  Even if a 1:1
relationship is specified in the application specification unless there is a
constraining mechanism in place in the database the SQL should not reply on
the relationship.  Even with a constraining mechanism in place it is best to
write SQL such that it explicitly targets the desired row set.  This makes
the desired result clear to readers of the code who may not be aware of all
the system design features.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell --