Re: Appliances

  • From: "~Jeff~" <jifjif@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Howard Latham <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 10:44:19 +1200

Hi Howard
Not sure what "safe" means, but...

we evaluated ODA last year, but in our case (reluctantly) turned it down
because:
- only 11.2 was available.  We have several critical legacy systems which
use 9.2, 10.2 so that was a showstopper.
- disk was not expandable at that point.  I understand that's been
addressed via NFS now.

It was nice that you could run non-RAC EE and license some fraction of the
available cores. Our old db server has license for 4 "processors" (ie 8
cores) and it would be difficult to get budget for more.  And I would take
the performance profile of a recent Intel Xeon over a T4 any day :)

For a use case where you  don't mind giving Oracle access to the server and
have a set of databases that can all run on 11.2 and be patched
simultaneously, it would make sense.

At least, this was how we understood it after liaising with the pre-sales
guys.

cheers-
jeff