RE: Anyone using multi-block sizes for their databases

  • From: "Lex de Haan" <lex.de.haan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <juancarlosreyesp@xxxxxxxxx>, <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:51:54 +0200

Juan,

with all due respect, I believe this is *not* a good advice. I actually think it
is a *bad* advice. you try to achieve something with the wrong technique, at a
way too high price.

let me first say that the only *intended* reason for multiple blocksizes is to
make transportable tablespaces more flexible. any other reason might have its
merits, but should be considered with caution.

the biggest disadvantage of a segmented cache is that free space gets segmented
too, obviously -- typically leading to much more memory wastage than with a
single unsegmented buffer cache.

kind regards,

Lex.

Steve Adams Seminar http://www.naturaljoin.nl/events/seminars.html