Antw: Re: Easy way to copy databases when using RMAN?

  • From: "Markus Reger" <Reger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 12:44:06 +0200

just in case this doesn't fix the dbase id thing: there is a command line =
tool to give a database a new db id.=20
rman's duplicate  does it without furhter tweaks. check it out in =
Metalink.=20
Don't forget - just in case when you happen to have changed the pathes on =
the new machine- to use init ora params saying where the new datafiles =
are.=20
it's an easy task, at least easier than stating all the new localtions on =
the rman command line.
remember you need some archive logs too - if the instances runs in archive =
mode.=20
remember to set date format string apropriately  and duplicate until =
<point-of-time>
good luck - but actually you don't take chances.
kr MReger

>>> mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx 06.05.2004 06:47:21 >>>
Actually, why do you need rman? If you use the the cloning tool
known as "cp" or "scp", if the clone needs to be on another node,=20
you can get the desired result with a FS-based database. The DBID
problem is solved by opening the database with the "RESETLOGS" option.
Once you issue "alter database open resetlogs" command, your old=20
DBID is gone and, technically speaking, you have a new database.

On 05/06/2004 12:37:28 AM, Wolfson Larry - lwolfs wrote:
> Hi, guys!
>         I I've got a number of servers to create multiple 9i databases.
> =20
>         Is it possible to just create one system tablespace and just =
copy it
> multiple times?
--=20
Mladen Gogala