RE: Another note on "Best Practices" for DataGuard, Oracle Services and RAC

  • From: Richard Croasmun <rac_oracledba@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 19:23:16 +0000

>> Unfortunately it is increasingly hard to even discuss what should be done if
>> it varies from the formulaic

Which often happens when your discussion is with someone that has no clue as to
what's really going on.  Instead of admitting their own lack of knowledge and
taking the time to learn/understand the issue at hand, it's easier to use 'Best
Practices' as a crutch for their own lack of knowledge.

From: mwf@xxxxxxxx
To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx; sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Another note on "Best Practices" for DataGuard, Oracle Services
and RAC
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:03:23 -0400

Nice Article Jared!

However, I prefer:

“Best practices” have most certainly become a label attached to “generic
deployment practices designed to be executed with automated tools and the least
possible requirement for intervention by a sentient party.”

The point in the article that no one solution, practice, or procedure is
optimal for everyone is right on. Used as good guidance, “best practices” are
often helpful. Used as a restriction on doing anything else, the very phrase is
evil. “But that’s not ‘best practice’!” is not a valid rejoinder to something
that works better than “best” at a given place. Unfortunately it is
increasingly hard to even discuss what should be done if it varies from the
formulaic.

Regards,

mwf