Advise on re-creating ASM diskgroup

  • From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:44:39 +0100

Database version: 11.1.6.0
OS: OEL V4
RAC database

Hi,
I have a FRA ASM disk group that at times is reported as containing
corrupt header information, so I want to remove all of the files in
it, drop it and then re-create it.
My problem is how best to make copies of the files and then put them
back. As this is the FRA diskgroup this involves a controlfile, online
redo log files and archive log files.
I have played a bit with the ASM cp command, found that "cp -r" does
not work, "cp" does but that is going to be hard to use with the
archive logs.
So I figured I could use rman instead to take copies of the archive
log files, but I have not tried that yet.

So I moved on to the controlfiles, creating a copy using the "cp"
command, but when I tried to copy it back I get this:

ASMCMD> cp /tmp/oracle/control02.ctl
+ORCL_FR_AREA/S3tsps/CONTROLFILE/control02.ctl
source /tmp/oracle/control02.ctl
target +ORCL_FR_AREA/S3tsps/CONTROLFILE/control02.ctl
ASMCMD-08012: can not determine file type for file->'/tmp/oracle/control02.ctl'
ORA-15056: additional error message
ORA-19762: invalid file type DGGetFileAttr20
ORA-06512: at "SYS.X$DBMS_DISKGROUP", line 207
ORA-06512: at line 3 (DBD ERROR: OCIStmtExecute)

Googling for this I found that others have tried and failed with the
same thing, so cp is not good if all I can do is create a copy of the
files but then I cannot copy them back!
I thought that this would be easy and that the asmcmd cp command would
be the way to easily create copies of at least the control and online
redo log files.

Any advise on what other options I have here, is dbms_file_transfer a
better bet?

Thanks
Pete