Re: Accessing informix from oracle - complexity and cost

  • From: Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 07:24:58 -0400

Thanks for the reply. I was going round and round with oracle all day to try and get pricing. An SR could not provide me with a verifiable price list - rather I was quoted "about 15k from the transparent gateway... form an internal price list" and

"...HSODBC Heterogeneous services / ODBC aka Generic Transparent Gateway" is "free" from oracle..." but I would need to get the drivers from a third party or informix.

I can see why license compliance can be a service provided by outside vendors....I challange onyone to search the net or oracle site for verifiable licensing costs... :)

Anyways, my os is oracle 9i 2 on solaris, if you have any notes on how this is done please send them to me, I would greatly appreciate it ... all the documentation about this is what Ive come to label "circular reference...."

Thanks again
bob

Robyn wrote:
Hi Bob,

We're using Oracle Heterogeneous Services to connect to an Informix database. We're on HP-UX and needed to purchase ODBC for HP-UX, but that was the only expense. ( I had it working with free stuff, but it was less reliable.) Overall, it's been a reasonable solution for our purposes, the connection has been stable and once it was configured, it has been very very low maintenance. However, this is a very low volume, non critical data exchange so we didn't implement the whole transparent gateway thing. Cost and complexity would have increased considerably. The Oracle database for the connection is 9.2.0.8 <http://9.2.0.8>.

Robyn

On 7/23/07, *Bob* <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I'm researching options to access an Informix database
Right now, the process involves generating a flat text file, ftp and importing into our Oracle Database .
    I know I can create an external table agains the flat file, but im
    looking to connect to the Informix database and issue queries to
    eliminate file transfers
    I've heard of Oracle Gateway for Informix Database Heterogeneous
    services, I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with
    accessing Informix from oracle and how much cost and trouble is it
    to set up?

    Yep, Ive googled and started reading the doc(s),
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/B10528_01/ch1.htm#1005648

    But its looking bigger than Id like... hopefully soemone here has
    some info for a more sane direction

    Thanks!
    Bob

-- "Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
    highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify
    some other error located close to where the real fault lies."