Re: AW: Query on Linux 'top' command for oracle user

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Karl Arao <karlarao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 12:11:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Also thanks for sharing atop, I know I've came across this website
> before but didn't know it can do disk activity per process. but, do
> I still need to patch the kernel?

Karl,

The man page of atop has these words

Disk load is shown if per process "storage accounting" is active in
the kernel or if the kernel patch 'cnt' has been installed.

But to me, it seems to come with everything. I tried the simplest
(i.e. default) installation on my Red Hat 4 box. Everything seems to
work.

But I wish it did less. When I cleanup after my trial, I have to
use chkconfig to prevent it from running as a service at multiple
runlevels. And it stores its result in /var/log and config in /etc/atop,
etc.

Yong Huang