Re: ASM is single point of failure ?

  • From: Steve Perry <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 21:42:20 -0500

"blackbox" - my sentiments exactly. I have a few customers that use ASM and they don't seem to mind it and they love the price - penny wise and pound foolish.

Since Oracle is pushing/integrating it, RMAN and OMF, I've given up arguing and now just try and make the best of it.
It's hard to win an argument with uninformed mgmt. when money is involved. It always takes a disaster to convince them.

On May 8, 2006, at 07:22 PM, Mladen Gogala wrote:

On 05/08/2006 05:31:31 PM, Kevin Closson wrote:

The misconceptions are the most frightening aspect of ASM.

People are willing to use it and have ZERO idea what it is.
Oddly, I find people fearing things that do not relate whatsoever
(such as the above), but ignoring the bold, glaring issues.
It just bogles my mind.

My biggest problem with it is the fact that I cannot backup my data by anything else but RMAN. With all due respect, I don't trust Oracle that much. I want to see files and the space allocation. Black box approach doesn't work very well for me. As a pessimist, I know that a coffin is also a black box.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l