RE: ASM disk group

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:35:00 -0700

>       I do not recommend that you use this command, but it did work
for the test server on which ASM was installed.

>       dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda5 bs=1024 count=64

Being a Linux disk name and had at that, you are at least
a bit safer than if it was /dev/sda. With the typical bare-bones
stripped down clusters some are deploying RAC on, I encourage all to
make sure that /dev/sda is pointing to the same physical disk
on all nodes of the cluster before doing this. Remember, Linux
is not very cluster-aware and the device-slip problems typical
of legacy unix clusters of the early 90s can still plague
a linux cluster. That is, if you are on a bare-bones, stripped
down Linux cluster ...

:-)