APEX Oracle RDB Database Link

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:44:06 -0700

I have a system running on an Oracle 10.2.0.4 database which needs to get
information from an RDB database.  When connecting to the RDB version from the
Oracle database server, RDB displays the following

Connected to:
Oracle Compatible Release 9.2.0.4.0
Oracle Rdb OCI Server Release 7.2.0.1.1 - Production, Level 1.7
Oracle Rdb SQL Release 7.2.3.4.0 - Production

So the "compatible" is off.  I want to use a database link to pull data from
the RDB database to the Oracle database.  I created a database link and all
works well.  The next test was to see if the link would work from an APEX
application.  It does not.  Insufficient privilege error is returned from the
RDB database.  I tried hiding the link in a view, creating a public database
link and so forth, but a 1031/2068 error is always returned.  I even tried
making the link as APEX_PUBLIC_USER, and got the expected error that the remote
database or words to that effect could not be found.

Any ideas?  I have not worked with RDB before.

Ian MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx