RE: AIX Concurrent I/O for Oracle archive logs

  • From: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l @ freelists . org'" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brandon' <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 07:11:20 +0800

Yes, that is likely a bit high.  On the other hand, I don't really believe that
80 is an upper limit.  We kept getting "Warning: lio_listio returned EAGAIN"
until I jacked things up to:
minservers = 128
maxservers = 512
maxreqs = 8192
With that, no more of those messages.  SAN and quite a few file systems, here.

Cheers
Nuno

On Thu May 27  1:42 , "Allen, Brandon"  sent:

>Yes, we're using Async IO and we probably have too many aio servers (maxservers
= 400 * 8 processors = 3200 total aioservers).  The docs I've read say to set
maxservers to 80 at the most, e.g. :
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/partnerworld/pub/whitepaper/162b6.pdf

>"limit the maximum number of servers to 10 times the number of disks that are
be used concurrently, but no more than 80"

>We only have 200 datafiles.  I've already asked the Unix admins to consider
lowering maxservers in order to free up any excessive resources they may be
consuming.