A few questions about partitions

  • From: Kevin Hale Boyes <kcboyes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:34:38 -0600

Can I rollback an "ALTER TABLE ... TRUNCATE PARTITION" command?

I thought the answer would be no but I was a bit confused by an
example given in the Oracle documentation.
The example is in the Note here:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/partiti.htm#sthref2895

In fact, I don't even see that as valid syntax for the TRUNCATE
PARTITION clause.
My understanding is that the TRUNCATE PARTITION doesn't generate any
redo data and if we're not rebuilding indexes it is a very fast
operation.

I also have a question about the DROP/REUSE STORAGE clause.
The documentation says that REUSE will keep the space and make it
available for inserts and updates to the same partition.
Is that space also used when a row is moved from one partition to
another (ENABLE ROW MOVEMENT) when the partitioning key is updated?

In my application the truncated partition will start receiving rows
soon after the truncation.  It seems to me that REUSE STORAGE would be
more efficient than DROP STORAGE.
Can anyone help me understand the trade-offs between reusing or
dropping the storage associated with a truncated partition?

Thanks,
Kevin.