Re: 8.0.6 to 10.2.0

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:44:00 -0500

Doug,

Well, I'm guessing you want Oracle to create those 700 users for you. Not
knowing more about your situation, here is what I would tend to do:
 - System-level export with ROWS=N.
 - Import that export to create the users and objects, except indexes. Fix
any problems.
 - System-level export with ROWS=Y
 - Import that export with IGNORE=Y.
 - Create indexes, using imports INDEXFILE option to create a script.
Now, you didn't specify how much downtime they will give you to accomplish
all this. If you have a tight window, it may be worth going through the
process above to get timings and resolve any issues, then drop indexes,
truncate tables, then do that last export again during your actual cutover.
  Now, depending on your situation, a schema level export/import may be
useful, particularly if these schemas represent different user groups.

Dennis Williams