750G disk details were leaked today

  • From: "Paul Vallee" <paulvallee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:02:01 -0400

Comrades:

As someone who has, more times than I can count, had to suffer through
discussions on why an array made up of three huge disks in RAID-5 was not
going to cut it for someone's performance-intensive database application, I
was dismayed to notice today that Seagate has leaked an announcement of, get
this, 750G disks. At 7200 RPM. I wept unabashedly and at length.

I think we must fight against huge disks for databases with all of our
(admittedly quite meagre as DBAs) might and power. We will almost certainly
lose this battle, again, obviously, but not without a fight. As as such, in
the tradition of BAARF, I have launched BAHD for DBs, the Battle Against
Huge Disks for Databases.

Please join me in my fight against huge disks for databases. Or not.

http://www.pythian.com/blogs/170/750g-disks-are-bahd-for-dbs-a-call-to-arms

Thank you,
Paul