Re: 4031 - errors

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:22:51 -0400

On 05/26/2004 03:53:25 PM, "Duret, Kathy" wrote:
> 1) Is there a way to tell an object is holding/leaking memory in the
> database.  Or a way to monitor the shared_pool so I can be proactive if
> fragmentation is getting out of hand.

Kathy, the only way that you can see what is holding the memory is to flush
shared pool and then do system dump. If you were waiting on a latch, then
Steve's solution would actually make sense and you would be able to find out
who's holding what. I suspect that your problems come  from
CURSOR_SPACE_FOR_TIME.
In 8i, there is a parameter called session_cached_cursors which will determine
the
size of per session cursor cache. Space for time thing is evil and I distinctly
remember that parameter being associated with several 8i bugs. Unfortunately,
I no longer have an access to 8i database so I cannot give you details. Steve
Adams most probably can.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in
error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system,
destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or
indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its
subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications
through its networks.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except
where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them
to be the views of any such entity.