10gR2 and _simple_view_merging issue

  • From: rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle Discussion List <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:12:15 -0500

We found an interesting issue in testing 10gR2. We have an application that
inserts into a view. Mind you it is a simple view, no distincts, group-by
etc.

In earlier testing we encountered performance issues so we turned off
"_simple_view_merging" (set to false) to improve performance. As soon as we
did that, inserts into simple views (with an exist clause) failed with
ORA-1732 and ORA-2014 (in different cases).

We turned on the "_simple_view_merging" by settign it to true, both errors
disappeared.

We are doing more testing before logging a TAR ... sorry SR but does anyone
have any ideas on this behavior ??  Nothing suitable found in Metalink,
Google.

TIA
Raj
This space is available for rent.