Re: help on file modified in orcle apps

  • From: James Morrow <morrow.james@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:28:05 -0500

I suppose it depends.

Assuming that the person logged in as "applmgr" through an SSH or
telnet session, there may be some evidence of that login (machine
name, IP address) in /var/adm/messages or a similar log file.  Of
course, tying that login to the modification of the file will be
dificult (how long were they logged in before modifying the file?)

Assuming that the person used "su" or "sudo" to become "applmgr",
there may be a similar log indicating when they became applmgr.  As in
the above scenario, tying that to the actual modification of the file
will be difficult.

If the person is logged in as another user and (through the file
permissions) had access to modify the file, you probably won't know.

Now, if you have some degree of OS-level auditing turned on, you'll
likely have better luck.

-- James
James J. Morrow | Senior Oracle Applications DBA | TriOra Group, LLC
morrow.james <at> gmail <dot> com
james.morrow <at> trioragroup <dot> com