Re: Adpatch

  • From: saravanan tyagarajan <btsaravanan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 00:13:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Friends,

  adpatch is the utility to patch eBS apps instances.

  Most of these eBS patches that need to be deployed with adpatch would have
either one or two or three drv files.

  There are four types of drv files altogether.

  cPATCHNUMBER.drv --> also called a copy driver file
  dPATCHNUMBER.drv --> also called a database driver file
  gPATCHNUMBER.drv --> also called a generate driver file
  uPATCHNUMBER.drv --> also called a unified driver file

  unified driver file would have the contents of the c drv, d drv and/or g drv
files.

  Earlier patches had either
  -- only c drv files or
  -- only c and d drv files or
  -- only c and g drv files or
  -- all c, d and g drv files.

  All recent patches are having only u drv files.

  When adpatch is used to deploy a patch having a u driver file, the copy
action commands - similiar to the commands found in the c drv files - are
executed first to copy the files from the patch directories to various
respective directories on the server. Only files with higher versions would be
copied on the server and the old replaced files are backed up by the adpatch
under the backup directory of the patch directory.

  After the copy commands, if there are database action commands, they would be
executed before the generate action commands (if available in the u driver
file) - similar to the commands available in the g drv file - are executed.

  If a u driver has only copy commands and generate commands but not database
commands, the copy commands are exectuted first followed by the generated
action commands.

  For the old patches (those not having the u drv files), the order of patching
would be c drv, d drv and lastly g drv.

  Almost every patch would have a .ldt file.

  Once all the copy, database and generate commands are executed by the adpach,
the information of the patch history (usually available in the .ldt file) would
be uploaded to the database.

  If my understanding is not correct, I plead the whole Apps DBA community to
correct me wherever I am wrong.

  Request to add some more information which I might have left here.

  Regards,
  Saravanan BT

Maris Elsins <elmaris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi,

it's
$AD_TOP/bin/adpatch

  On 7/6/07, k srinivas <k.sridba@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:     Hi DBAs,

  While applying patch,we go the patch directory..and then give   adpatch...
  What happens internally when we give adpatch..I mean which file it calls or
fires....

  Is it the *.ldt in the patch directory..or anything else...Plz help me out..

  Thanks & Regds
  Sreenivash.

--
br,