RE: 64 bit or 32 bit ebs database

  • From: "kathy.robb" <kathy.robb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ora-apps-dba@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:10:21 -0600

Hi Hananto,

Actually, for AIX, only 64 bit is certified for the database.  AIX 5.3ML can
be installed so that you can run the 32 bit apps, and the 64 bit database on
a single node.  Take a look at the certification matrix in metalink.  Here
is some of the information that it contains ? please take note of the RDBMS
information stating 64 bit ONLY ? and review all of those notes.  They will
help you set up your AIX environment appropriately.

General Notes For E-Business Suite 11i and Earlier On IBM AIX based Systems:

Release Information:

*       11.5.9, and higher, Rapid Install is ONLY certified on AIX 5L

O/S Information:

*       Oracle products are certified for AIX5L on all servers that IBM
supports with AIX5L. This includes IBM System i5 and System p5. Please visit
IBM's website at this URL
<http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/aix/>  for more information on
AIX5L support for System i5 details.
*       IBM power based systems that support AIX5L includes machines branded
as RS6000, pSeries, iSeries, System p5 and System i5.
*       AIX5L certifications include AIX5L versions 5.2 and 5.3. 5.1 was
desupported on 16-JUN-2006.

*       Customers should review MetaLink Note 282036.1
<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_dat
abase_id=NOT&p_id=282036.1>

*       5L introduces the option to run the AIX kernel in 64-bit mode &
32-bit mode E-Business Suite 11i supports 32-bit mode natively.
*       For 32-bit/64-bit Kernel Mode on AIX 5L refer to MetaLink note
231901.1
<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_dat
abase_id=NOT&p_id=231901.1>  for clarification.
*       To run E-Business Suite 11i on AIX 5L in 64-bit mode, follow the
following instructions:

*       For new installs of 11.5.9, and higher, (using Rapid Install) no
action is required.
*       For new installs of 11.5.8: Prior to installation download the
latest Red CD for 11.5.8 or higher from MetaLink. The patch number is
2981384 for 11.5.8 Red CD.
*       For existing installations of 11.5.3 or later (including 11.5.8, and
higher, Maintenance Pack Upgrades): Apply Patch Number 2896876.

*       5.L, on 11i, is certified on 11.5.3 and higher.
*       AIX5L 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 are certified for 11.0.3 deployments
supported 32-bit natively, (see "Addl Info" section for installation
instructions).

*       AIX5L 5.3 will be the last AIX5L release that is certified for
11.0.3 deployments.

*       Starting with Oracle9i, the Server is always in 64-bit mode and
ships with both a 32-bit and 64-bit Client Libraries.
*       Oracle software for AIX-Based systems can be used on Bull Escala
AIX, Motorola AIX.

RDBMS Information:

*       9.2.0.2 and higher, for E-Business Suite on this platform, is 64-bit
ONLY

  _____