[optimal] Re: Spectralis Lens Cleaning

  • From: angiolith@xxxxxxx
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 14:16:15 -0400 (EDT)

 We have cleaned fundus cameras for 25 years with sterile cotton balls.  Minor
tear splashes and grease get the hot breath condensation treatment.  More
serious glop gets a drop of acetone on the cotton ball.  We ALWAYS throw away
the ball after one pass over the lens!  We have never scratched a lens using
this method.  We use several cameras that are over 20 years old and the
objectives look brand spanking new.

In the prior 10 years, we used Kodak lens cleaning tissues.  Over time, this
method (with either breath-condensation or acetone, or 100% ethanol) resulted
in scratches in the lens coatings of a number of fundus camera lenses.

My concern with the microfiber cloths is that you could scratch the lens if the
cloth has dried tear film on it.  That film can be surprisingly hard and
abrasive.

With our Heidelberg HRT, we use the same method, although very rarely use the
acetone.  We get similar results.

Marty Rothenberg
Angiographics, Inc