[optimal] Re: NAS vs SAN

  • From: Sandor Ferenczy <sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 09:58:23 -0400

How do you connect to the SAN from individual cameras? Just curious... when
i had attempted prior, it was with Windows XP on the Heidelberg camera, i
only tried SMB, as i couldn't get an iSCSI initiator working in Windows -
the SMB protocol on XP seemed to be the biggest issue - Win7 has been much
better.

If you are going offsite for the SAN, much of the cost might be in
distribution expense - it is the nice thing about having our SAN on
location - max distance is 20 meters of cat6 cabling.

The security issue is interesting - SMB (windows file sharing) would be the
biggest security threat, but you can use protocols (including SMB) that
require encrypted connections - it just limits the types of clients that
can connect. In regards to the NAS itself, ours use a 256-bit AES encrypted
file system, so the only security issue is someone walking away with the
devices themselves - same issues with the CPU attached to a camera.

We are producing just over 200 GB a month, so i feel your pain - but i dont
understand your IT group's stance on NAS (except that it decentralizes
their control)

for reference, we use products from here:
https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product/items_by_series.php?CA=1 We started
with 128 bit AES drive encryption about 5 years ago, and have upgraded, as
QNAP upgrades their OS, to 256. self-replication via ssh tunneled rsync,
etc. they work really well. Around $2500 for the devices + $200 per 5 TB
enterprise-grade SATA drive puts you around $4000 for a 30 TB RAID-6
(double redundancy)

Funding is a pain...

What would IT say about direct-attached storage? I assume that would be a
big "no" as well. They seem to have a good profit stream from you, and
don't really want to give that up, but i may being a bit jaded in those
terms.

-sandor

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Steffens, Tim <tjsteffe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Sandor,

Our Heidelberg and Merge Symphony database is on the SAN at the data
warehouse, about 3 miles away. We don’t have any latency issues. The
Heidelberg files load immediately, it’s really nice.

I’m differentiating the two because NAS is just used for data storage and
SAN would run the database. Our IT says that NAS is not secure enough for
PHI. Another issue is that the auto-archive feature on Merge Symphony has
been broken for two years so we have not been able to free up space on the
SAN. At our current rate we are going through 1TB of storage every 4
months. We are looking at dumping Merge but I need to find the funding
first. My options are limited (Escalon, Forum and Heidelberg) but I need to
secure the funding first. Any other suggestions for data storage?

Thanks,
Tim Steffens

From: <optimal-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Sandor Ferenczy <
sandorferenczy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, October 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM
To: "optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [optimal] Re: NAS vs SAN

When you speak of SAN & NAS, how are differentiating the two?

Our servers have all their data storage on our SAN (multiple fibre channel
arrays), but shares to our imaging machines are all via TCP/IP.

Tried having the live Heidelberg database on the server, it lasted about 4
days. the latency on the ethernet network was higher that the HEYEX
software wanted, and imaging speed would degrade.

Currently, we just archive frequently (daily) and keep a minimum amount of
data on the capture machine.

Our SAN is also backup up offsite daily, so i would rather roll the data
backup of the capture machines into the SAN rather than needing a separate
policy for data security for each camera.

-sandor

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Steffens, Tim <tjsteffe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Does anyone store their database separate from the respective images for
any instrument? For example our Heidelberg database and images are on a SAN
and we were wondering if we could store the images on NAS and the database
on the SAN. SAN storage costs us $13,000/TB and NAS is $400/TB.

Thanks,
Tim Steffens

be used for urgent or sensitive issues

be used for urgent or sensitive issues