[optimal] Re: IVFA and dialysis

  • From: Joe Warnicki <warnickij@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:30:52 -0500

We had no problem with FA's and dialysis in Pgh, but we always did them in the morning before dialysis. The fluorescein was flushed during dialysis minimizing the time in the system and how long the patient was walking around yellow.

Joe

On 1/4/2012 2:50 PM, CPMC Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center wrote:

I could probably get my hands on supportive literature. Here's what I can offer:

Have reviewed this issue with my Risk Management team and Nephrology Unit directors. They see no contraindication for Sodium Fluorescein and kidney function.

The codicil here is never inject into the shunt, schedule the procedure on the upswing of dialysis. Remember, these patient's don't urinate. They do not pass the Sodium FA out of their systems. You want to time the procedure on the day they are having dialysis to cleanse it out of their systems. Also, these subset of patient's are generally on very strict fluid ingestion restrictions. Even 2cc's cuts into their allowances sometimes.

Denice

*/Denice Barsness, CRA, COMT, ROUB, CDOS, FOPS/*

/Ophthalmic Diagnostic Center/

/CPMC Department of Ophthalmology/

/2100 Webster Street Suite 212///

/San Francisco CA 94115/