[optimal] Re: Home Grown EMRs

  • From: "Joe Warnicki" <warnickij@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optimal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:11:21 -0400

Sarah,

Talk with someone at Vanderbilt. Their IT team wrote the "Star" system
that they use. I only saw a bit of it but they built the shell and then
interface with different vendors for the special needs that each
department has.

Ophthalmology has so many differences from most departments it would be
nice to have a real commitment of IT staff during development. Ideally
someone who will move their office to ophthalmology to listen to ideas and
take the flak when different trials are initiated.

Also look at different ehr strategies. Most revolve around forms and
reports, but you can also develop alternate paths around images and
drawings. For some patients this can be an easier way to follow changes.

Joe

> Dear Optimalers,
>
> About 75% of our ophthalmologists at UNC have been using an ophthalmology
> specific EMR for the past 8-10 years.  When they finish working in it, it
> sends a report into the big UNC EMR.  Now that the government is offering
> money for Meaningful Use, UNC's IT department has decided it would be best
> if THEY design us an EMR to use inside of the big UNC EMR.  Naturally, our
> doctors are skeptical that they will end up with an inferior EMR.  As the
> day is getting closer that we need to decide if we push the other 25% into
> using our current ophthalmology specific EMR OR have UNC IT build us an
> EMR,
> I am curious if any of you have gone through something similar?  Can you
> share your experiences?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
>

> Sarah Moyer, CRA, OCT-C